Hungry Ghost Festival is a traditional Chinese Festival held to appease the spirits of deceased relatives who wander freely on Earth during the seventh lunar month.
The Festival is carried out at various places around Singapore, mainly in the neighbourhoods housing Chinese residents.
Hungry Ghost Festival Singapore, Chinese Holiday Dates for 2024
Chinese families will also cook elaborate meals and leave empty seats at their table for the deceased members of their family. Food is also often left out for the hungry ghosts who allegedly roam the streets.
For those visiting Singapore during this festival, you will be able to witness this cultural event and the many festivities that have been planned. Large tents are set up in Singapore, which hosts dinners, Chinese Opera, stand-up comedy, and musical performances.
Some of the superstitions to adhere to during the Hungry Ghost Festival:
- No swimming. It is said that the drowned evil ghost might try to drown you to find victims for them to rebirth.
- As the month is considered inauspicious, don’t move to new houses, start new businesses or marry.
- Don’t hang clothes outside at night.
- Do not pick up coins or money found on the street; never bring it home.
- Do not wear red because ghosts are attracted to red.
- Don’t sing and whistle, as these may attract ghosts.
Head down to Chinatown to get in the spirit of the festival.