2023 is a year of the Rabbit, starting from January 22nd, 2023 (Chinese lunar New Year Day) and lasting until February 9th, 2024. If you were born in 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011…, your Chinese zodiac sign is the Rabbit.
Chinese New Year in Singapore is one of the biggest celebrations on the event calendar. Generally celebrated in January or February each year (the date fluctuates), this event marks the transition from summer to winter.
If you are in Singapore during the Chinese New Year, check out some of the planned events, as you will learn so much about the rich Chinese culture that continues to influence Singapore today.
Chinese New Year 2023 Dates, Celebrations & Fireworks in Singapore
Also, the River Hongbao celebration is considered to be one of the main celebrations of the Chinese New Year. It typically occurs at Gardens by the Bay and along the Esplanade Waterfront Promenade. This is a family event where various entertainment and cultural events are suitable for all ages.
Bring your family and enjoy the sumptuous Chinese cuisine that characterises the culture. Many restaurants will be serving a special meat porridge that precedes a delicious pineapple tart called ‘Ong Lai’ which is a symbol of good luck. This will be followed by peanut cookies which are meant to represent longevity. Afterwards, join in with the locals and toss a fish salad into the air. The higher you throw it, the more prosperity will come your way.
Typically, the following events are scheduled for Chinese New Year in Singapore:
- Chinatown Chinese New Year Celebrations Official Light-Up and Opening Ceremony: 3 January 2023 , 7pm at Kreta Ayer Square
- Street Light-Up: 3 January 2023 – 19 February 2023 , 7pm – 12am Along New Bridge Road, Eu Tong Sen Street and South Bridge Road
- Countdown Party: 21 January 2023, 10:30pm at Kreta Ayer Square
- Festive Fair and Food Fair: 1 January 2023 – 21 January 2023, 6pm – 10pm Along Smith Street, Pagoda St, Trengganu St, and Temple St
- Trade Fair @ People’s Park: 23 December 2022 – 21 January 2023, 10am – 10pm at Open space in front of OG People’s Park Complex
- Weekly Stage Show: 7, 8, 14, 15 January 2023, 7pm – 9pm at Kreta Ayer Square
You can enjoy the distinctive Chinese fireworks that take place all over the city. Come down to Marina Bay and enjoy the fireworks from the shore, one of the tall buildings, or the Singapore Flyer.