Chinese New Year Singapore is one of the biggest celebrations on the event calendar. Generally celebrated in January or February each year (the date fluctuates), this event marks the transition from summer to winter.
If you are in Singapore during the Chinese New Year, make sure to check out some of the events planned during this time as you will learn so much about the rich Chinese culture that continues to influence Singapore today.
Chinese New Year 2019 Dates, Celebrations & Fireworks in Singapore
Also, the River Hongbao celebration is considered to be one of the main celebrations of the Chinese New Year. It takes place at Marina Bay and along the Esplanade Waterfront Promenade. This is a family event where you will find a huge variety of entertainment and cultural events suitable for all ages.
Bring your family and enjoy the sumptuous Chinese cuisine that characterise the culture. Many restaurants will be serving a special meat porridge which precedes a delicious pineapple tart called “Ong Lai” which is a symbol of good luck. This will be followed by peanut cookies which are meant to represent longevity. Afterwards, join in with the locals and toss a fish salad into the air. It is believed the higher you throw it the more prosperity that will come your way.
Typically, the following events are scheduled for Chinese New Year in Singapore:
- The Official Light Up and Opening Ceremony: New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street. Firecrackers and fireworks display.
- Street Light Up: Eu Tong Sen Street, New Bridge Road and South Bridge Road. Handmade sculptured lanterns.
- Festive Street Bazaar: Pagoda Street, Smith Street, Sago Street, Temple Street and Trengganu Street. A variety of stalls lining up the streets of Chinatown.
- Chingay 2018 Night Fiesta @ Chinatown: New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street. The largest street performance and float parade in Asia.
- Nightly Stage Shows: Kreta Ayer Square. Be entertained by Chinese cultural performances, festive songs, music and dance performances.
- International Lion Dance Competition: Carpark at Banda Street (off Sago Lane). See more than 10 top troupes all vying for the grand prize.
- Chinatown Chinese New Year Countdown Party: New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street. Be entertained by live music, firecrackers and a spectacular display of fireworks.
You be able to enjoy the distinctive Chinese fireworks that take place all over the city. Come down to Marina Bay and enjoy the fireworks from the shore, one of the tall buildings or from the Singapore Flyer.